ENLIL: 3-D MHD heliospheric code
ENLIL is a time-dependent 3D MHD model of the heliospherei, developed by D. Odstrcil (George Mason University and NASA GSFC Space Weather Laboratory). It solves equations for plasmai mass, momentum and energy density, and magnetic field, using a Flux-Corrected-Transport (FCT) algorithm. Its inner radial boundary is located beyond the sonic point, typically at 21.5 or 30 solar radii. The real-time run uses Wang-Sheeley-Arge (WSA) for inner boundary conditions. The outer radial boundary can be adjusted to include planets or spacecraft of interest (eg 2 AU to include both Earth and Mars, 5 AU to include Ulyssesi, 10 AU to include Cassini). It covers 60 degrees north to 60 degrees south in latitudei and 360 degrees in azimuth.
- Odstrcil, D., Modeling 3-D solar windii structure, Adv. Space Res., 32(4), doi:10.1016/S0273-1177(03)00332-6, 2003.
- Odstrcil, D., P. Riley, and X. P. Zhao, Numerical simulation of the 12 May 1997 interplanetary CMEi event, J. Geophys. Res., 109, doi:10.1029/2003JA010135, 2004.
- Arge, C. N., and Pizzo V. J., Improvement in the prediction of solar windii conditions using near-real time solar magnetic field updates, J. Geophys. Res., 105, doi:10.1029/1999JA000262, 2000.
- Odstrcil, D., V. J. Pizzo, and C. N. Arge, Propagation of the 12 May 1997 interplanetary CMEi in evolving solar windii structures, J. Geophys. Res., 110, doi:10.1029/2004JA010745, 2005.
- Pizzo, V., G. Millward, A. Parsons, D. Biesecker, S. Hill, and D. Odstrcil, Wang-Sheeley-Arge–Enlil Cone Model Transitions to Operations, Space Weatheri, 9, S03004, doi:10.1029/2011SW000663, 2011.
- C.O. Lee, J.G. Luhmann, D. Odstrcil et al., The solar windii at 1 AU during the declining phase of solar cycle 23: Comparison of 3D numerical model results with observations, Solar Phys, 254, doi:10.1007/s11207-008-9280-y, 2009.